Monday, August 12, 2013

Potato and Arugula Omelets

All of my friends know how I feel about brunch. I LOVE making and eating brunch, but I have never understood why so many people in DC go out and spend $16 dollars a plate for scrambled eggs.  Tonight Shea and I decided to have breakfast for dinner, and these omelets hit the spot!

I still for the life of me cannot make the omelet beautifully filled with the toppings, so my omelets turned out a little messy looking, but they still tasted great. I added fried shallots and mushrooms to our omelets, and substituted the Gruyere cheese for Parmesan cheese. Shea liked this so much I made him a second omelet!

Potato and Arugula Omelets

Courtesy of "Sunday Brunch" by Betty Rosbottom

Ingredients
2 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 tbsp olive oil
4 oz red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
4 eggs
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
8 cups arugula, coarsely chopped
1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
6 tbsp grated Gruyere cheese

1. Heat 1/2 tbsp of the butter and the olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add the potatoes and saute, stirring often, until light golden and tender, about 8 minutes. remove from the heat and season wiht salt and pepper.

2. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl and season with a good pinch of salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Place the arugula in another mixing bowl and toss with the vinegar. Place the Gruyere  and the potatoes each in seperate bowls. Have ready a ladle for adding the egg mixture to the pan.

3. Make the omelet in the frying pan with the eggs, and at the last minute add the potatoes, arugula, and cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment